Monday, August 11, 2014

The Beginning

I have felt strongly lately that the world has enough troubles in it.  There are wars, invasions, poverty, illnesses, and many other things that take away from the fabric of our lives.  It is my hope with this blog that people will unite and start sharing kind things, whatever those "things" may be.  There are many people already who offer kindness to others, and there are individuals who have already understood and started practicing a greater kindness towards themselves.  So I am jumping on this band wagon and doing my part to encourage you and those you share this blog with to practice more kindness- to others and to yourself.  So let's begin.

In working with people who struggle with depression, anxiety, trauma response, and many other issues, it has become clear that there are no quick fixes.  Not only are there no quick fixes, most people have a hard time making leaps of progress in their lives when it comes to change.  The most effective thing that I have seen working to help individuals is making some small changes consistently.  And this became the origin of "One Kind Thing".  As I have begun assigning the homework, "do one kind thing for yourself today," I have seen people slowly shift their attitudes of self-hatred and punishment, and patterns of perfectionism, and start being more loving, kind, and compassionate with themselves.  Wow, it even shocked me!  What a difference small acts of kindness toward yourself can make.  As I continue this blog I will be sharing some stories from those who are joining the movement, and some stories from my own experience.  I hope that you will share as well, letting me know how you are practicing One Kind Thing each day.  Who knows, maybe our small acts of kindness to ourselves and to others will spread consistently and make a greater impact in the world.

With kindness-

Gwen

No comments:

Post a Comment